On 09/07/2020 14:36, Kyle Evans wrote:
We haven't quite standardized on a good process yet, IMO, but for
right now the correct process is to just mount the ESP and replace
loader.efi with your system's updated /boot/loader.efi. At some point
we'll standardize a mountpoint for the ESP and mount it by default as
is done on at least some other OS.

Ok, that makes sense. Still curious as to why the other method might fail though - as Karl points out in the other email, its just doing a direct copy of the image file, so if the iamge is built correct then I am surprised it wont work under all circumstances.

But thanks for the info - will file this away for when I have to install an EFI machine. cheers,

-pete.