On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 10:26:15PM +0100 I heard the voice of
Kurt Jaeger, and lo! it spake thus:

> We do not need it automated. We need it to be described in enough
> detail that we can write that BOOTx64.efi to the proper place. If
> there are some steps to find out where to write it etc., fine.
> Describe those steps.

As a data point, years ago I started dropping a rewrite-bootcode.sh
script in /boot on all my systems, 'cuz I could never offhand remember
how to do it so I kept putting it off.  And I updated a variant of it
for EFI.

e.g., on one system BIOS-booting system, /boot/rewrite-bootcode.sh:

----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh -x
for i in /dev/nda0 /dev/nda1; do
        gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ${i}
done
----------------------------------

And on an EFI system,

----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh -ex
bd="/mnt/EFI/BOOT"

for i in gpt/efi0 gpt/efi1; do
        mount -t msdosfs /dev/${i} /mnt
        cp /boot/boot1.efi ${bd}/BOOTX64.EFI
        echo "BOOTX64.EFI" > ${bd}/STARTUP.NSH
        umount /mnt
done
----------------------------------

Another variant I have on my workstation (which doesn't EFI boot 'cuz
DRM, but can, so I'm pretty sure the script works right),

---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
cd `dirname $0`

SRC="loader.efi"

for i in 0 1; do
        mount /mnt/efi${i}
        DSTDIR="/mnt/efi${i}/efi/boot"
        mkdir -p ${DSTDIR}
        DST="${DSTDIR}/BOOTx64.efi"
        if(!(cmp ${SRC} ${DST})); then
                echo "$DST: Updating"
                cp -p ${SRC} ${DST}
        else
                echo "${DST}: Up to date already"
        fi
        umount /mnt/efi${i}
done
---------------------------------
% grep efi /etc/fstab
/dev/gpt/nefi0 /mnt/efi0 msdosfs rw,noauto,-g0,-m770 0 0
/dev/gpt/nefi1 /mnt/efi1 msdosfs rw,noauto,-g0,-m770 0 0
---------------------------------

(and yes, when I wrote these, just _figuring_ _out_ WTF EFI wanted and
where it wanted it was _incredibly_ frustrating...)

Of course, those all take manual setup for each system, to know the
devices or labels, and with EFI, to either manually mount or setup
fstab entries for whatever partition[s] apply.  But at least I get to
do it once, when I setup the system, and presumably know what I just
did, rather than trying to remember years later while sitting at the
console of a system I need to finish the update of and get back up and
running.  This way I know I can just `cd /boot ; ./rew<tab>` after
installworld and be done with it    :)

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fulle...@over-yonder.net