Hi List,

With FreeBSD 13 getting near release I was trying out a new hardware setup for
a future upgrade, in where a zfs SATA RAID-10 array would be accelated by some
NVME devices for cache, log, and special meta data.

However, booting the setup under VMWare fusion gives me a lot of zio_read
error: 5 / ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable whereas in VirtualBox
using the same VMDKs the setup boots without issue, both in UEFI mode

I used the guided ZFS install, GPT UEFI only, and choose RAID-10 and zero swap
as I want to use the NVME devices for that later on.

when on the loader prompt lsdev / lszfs / ls works through latter two throw out
zio_read error: 5 but show recognisable output (zfs filesystems, files)

disk0 through 4 are the SATA disks with only an EFI and ZFS GPT partition each,
disk4/5 is reserved for the special vdevs (but not in use yet) and swap

If I press escape and end up in VMWare’s UEFI setup screen I can boot from any
ada*p1 drive and continue as normal.
Is UEFI with OpenZFS too new, or is this an issue in VMWare?

Also, I’m missing /boot/*efifat* in FreeBSD13. What is the procedure for
updating EFI loaders?