On 3/30/2021 10:40, tech-lists wrote:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 09:14:56AM -0500, Doug McIntyre wrote:
Like the patch referenced in the SA.
https://security.FreeBSD.org/patches/SA-21:07/openssl-12.patch

Again, it seems like confusion over what happens in RELEASE, STABLE and CURRENT..
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by this. In
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-security/2021-March/010380.html
it says

1) To update your vulnerable system via a binary patch:

Systems running a RELEASE version of FreeBSD on the i386 or amd64
platforms can be updated via the freebsd-update(8) utility:

# freebsd-update fetch
# freebsd-update install
# <restart any daemons that use the library>

which I did. If openssl updated, would it not be logical to expect
openssl version information to indicate it had in fact been updated?

If not, then how am I able to tell that it has updated? On an
un-upgraded 12.2-p4 system *and* on an upgraded one, openssl version
reports 1.1.1h-freebsd

It is not updating; as I noted it appears this security patch was NOT backported and thus 12.2-RELEASE does not "see" it.

You cannot go to "-STABLE" via freebsd-update; to run -STABLE you must be doing buildworld/buildkernel from source.  I can confirm that 12.2-STABLE *does* have the patch as I checked it recently.

From a system I cross-build for an updated yesterday:

$ uname -v
FreeBSD 12.2-STABLE stable/12-n232909-4fd5354e85e KSD-SMP
$ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.1.1k-freebsd  25 Mar 2021

--
Karl Denninger