Hi,

This might sound like a bit of an odd one, but I’ll try to describe it.  When I
run a FreeBSD 13-RELEASE virtual machine under VMware, it appears to work
correctly, but randomly stops working.

If I focus the VMware window, and press Ctrl-G to grab input focus (or click in
the window), I can log into the system using the console.  However, if I press
Ctrl-Alt to ungrab the input focus, or click outside the window, the block
cursor on the console vanishes, and it’s no longer possible to type any input.

However… if I grab focus again, I can use Alt-Fn to switch to a different
virtual console, log in again and everything is fine… up until I switch focus
to something else and the block cursor vanishes in that virtual console.
Repeat until you run out of virtual consoles!

I can’t reproduce this with FreeBSD 12.  It seems to only happen with FreeBSD
13.  I’ve had it happen reproducibly when losing focus, but then again
sometimes I’ve had a few minutes where it doesn’t happen, until it starts
occurring again.  While it seems that losing focus is the trigger, there might
be something else going on.

Has anyone else noticed this or have any suggested workarounds?

Kind regards,
Roger