imp> could be the X server.  To see if this is the case, use the following
imp> .xinitrc:
imp>    #!/bin/sh
imp>    xterm
imp> and then do a printenv.  I kinda doubt it as I don't see this on my
imp> systems here, but I use XFree86 3.3.6.
imp>

Yes, I don't see it (LC_CTYPE) either...

imp> Second, it could be coming gnome-terminal.  You can test this out by
imp> changing the above script in the obvious way.  Do a printenv as well.
imp> This likely is where the problem came from.  I don't use kde, gnome,
imp> or anything more complex than twm + xterm or qvwm + xterm.
imp>

I tested that (.xinitrc with *ONLY* a gnome-terminal), and again, I
don't see the LC_CTYPE var getting set.

I took it one step further:  I did a startx with the following
.xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
ktrace gnome-session

I looked for "en_US" in *EVERY* file that gets opened during a startx,
and I discovered that "LC_CTYPE" and "en_US" are *HARDCODED* into the
libgnomeui.so.4 file/shared library.  I would say without reservation
that "THIS is where the LC_CTYPE is being set."  Therefore, I need to
read the FreeBSD handbook and see how one goes about reporting a bug
in the ports (gnomelibs-1.2.4, to be exact).  I am not an expert, but
I don't think that hardcoding this value in a shared library is "The
Right Way To Get The Job Done (TM)"

Ryan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]