svysh> Successfully tested procedure (with tiny modifications of your
svysh> original idea) which teaches buildworld in FreeBSD-stable
svysh> how to produce sendmail with SMTP AUTH enabled is specified below.

svysh> 2) patch file /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/Makefile in such a way,
svysh> that line
svysh> LDADD= -lutil -lwrap
svysh> turns into line
svysh> LDADD+= -lutil -lwrap

Thanks for the information.  I've committed the change to -CURRENT.  If no
complaints come in over the next couple of days, I'll do the same in
-STABLE.