reissell> Ok, thanks. But would you believe, I *did* read the release notes
reissell> I'm aware of: /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/RELEASE_NOTES. The above
reissell> snippet isn't in that file.

I was referring to the FreeBSD release notes (see below).  But the
mail.local information is in the sendmail release notes as well:

        MAIL.LOCAL: Will not be installed setuid root.  To use mail.local
                as local delivery agent without LMTP mode, use
                MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`LOCAL', `+S')
                to set the S flag.

reissell> I found it in the URL Warner Losh provided, but haven't been able
reissell> to locate it in the /usr/src hierachy.  Am I missing something
reissell> really really obvious?

/usr/src/release/texts/i386/RELNOTES.TXT.