John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Umm, if / is mounted read-only you can tunefs it.  i.e.,  in single user mode
> after boot, or drop to single user and use 'mount -o ro -u /' then do the
> tunefs.  However, it doesn't buy you much on /, and there is still some risk
> with it, so I'd not recommend it for /.

On the contrary - if you have a fairly standard setup with /tmp on the
root partition, you will benefit a lot from enabling softupdates on
it. As to the risks, nowadays I'd say the odds of the softupdates code
exhibiting a noticeable bug are about the same (or less) as those of a
physical drive failure. YMMV.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - [EMAIL PROTECTED]