[skip]

> When you try to run top, it looks for the symbol that represents nlist,
> and when it can't find it, it doesn't know where to find the nlist
> kernel function. I'm guessing nlist has something to do with a process
> list... hence, when top can't find nlist, it throws a fit.

I think nlist *is* the list of symbols. What I get from reading
kvm_nlist() it tries to lookup a given list of symbols in kernel. If it
fails, top gives up.
KVM_NLIST(3) more or less explains it.

Now I have another questions: it seems that under some conditions
kvm_nlist can fall back to some other method of getting the values:

        /*
         * If we can't use the kld symbol lookup, revert to the
         * slow library call.
         */
        if (!ISALIVE(kd))
                return (__fdnlist(kd->nlfd, nl));

so my question is: whould this fdnlist work in abscence of kernel symbols?