> > Running with a debug kernel should be no problem and not much slower
> > than running with a production kernel.
>
> I thought the '-g' flag created two kernels,
> kernel and kernel.debug.
>
> I've always found I can run with kernel, then just pass kernel.debug to
> 'gdb -k' after a panic/reboot (see below).

That requires you to set up a dumpdev as well as compiling a debugging
kernel. But, yes, kernel.debug corresponds to /boot/kernel/kernel.

As a side note: If you get the panic PC you can do a

        gdb -k /sys/i386/KERNELNAME/kernel.debug
        dis 0xADDRESS

and get the disassembly and program listing of the address where things
went wrong.