On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Tortise@Paradise wrote:

> Hi
> I've been trying to sort out which update to download.  I seek a stable
> version of FreeBSD.  Am I correct that of the Current and Stable paths there
> are releases for each?  ie that there are "Current Releases" and "Stable
> Releases"?   I have downloaded releng_4_6 in the expectation it is the
> Stable Release.  Clarity would be appreciated.
> With thanks in advance.
> David Hingston

There is a current branch, and a stable branch, but those are not
'releases'.  They're both moving targets which vary rapidly.  every so
often the stable branch is used to construct a new release.

releng_4_6 gives you the latest (at present) stable release plus the
critical fixes only.

Andrew McNaughton