I'm getting the same error here with 4.6-R.

> So, I bumped up the nmbclusters to kern.ipc.nmbclusters=65536
> I allocated 128Mbytes to the mbuf clusters, hoping that it is
> big enough.
> But, it still shows that the same
>
> All mbuf clusters exhausted, please see tuning(7).

The same for me.

> How can I prevent this "mbuf clusters exhaustion"?

I would be interested in an answer, too.

> Relating to this, I do not understand why that the mbuf clusters
> are not freed fast enough. I watched "top" and it does seem to be
> that CPU is not exhausted.
> After all, I'm copying less than 10Mbyte/sec, probably 6 - 7 Mbytes
> at most.
> Hard disk is a Seagate ATA/IV 60Gbyte.The drive is hooked up to a
> Promise PCI ATA/UDMA 100 controller card.
> bonnie shows that it can sustain 15M - 20M bytes read/write.

I'm trying to copy data from an 1GHZ Mobile PIII Linux installation
with IDE disks to an AMD Athlon 700 FBSD 4.6-R installation with
Ultra 160 SCSI disks over NFS. I'm wondering too why the FreeBSD box can't
cope with my lousy linux installation. Didn't have time to investigate
though.

> Is there anything I can try?

Greetings,
Alex