Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     The filesystem wasn't idle and you didn't sync, so of course dump
>     screwed up!  It would probably screw up on a FreeBSD box too.

What's not idle?  The file system is mounted, but there are no writes
to it during the dump.  This and other tests run fine in Freebsd, even
without syncs (but of course I'd use sync in a real application).  In
Linux, even a loop of "while true ; do sync ; sleep 1 ; done" run for
20 minutes makes no difference.

There is something very different between Linux and Freebsd here, I
just don't know what it is.

--Mark