On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:42:48AM -0600, Huver wrote:

> BTW, I made the mistake of cvsup'ing to RELENG_4 from a 4.6.2, thinking I
> was updating to 4.7, now I'll have to back down to 4.7+post-patches.  I'm
> entering a reqeust now: in the future, "pre-release" be made a new, short-
> lived branch (delete it after the release is cut), but OFF the stable branch.

Why?  The only difference between 4.7-stable and 4.8-prerelease is the
name.  I.e. a system running 4.7-stable and one running 4.8-prerelease
are both just running snapshots of RELENG_4 from somwehere in time
between 4.7-RELEASE and and 4.8-RELEASE.  After 4.8 is released the name
of the RELENG_4 branch will be changed to 4.8-STABLE, but the name
change itself does not denote any changes in the code.

One could of course imagine not changing the name that is reported by
uname -a, but that the only thing that would accomplish is to avoid
questions from people that are surprised when they get 4.8-prerelease
when they expected 4.7-stable. This is just a problem with faulty
expectations and not with the naming scheme itself.

If it is really 4.7-release you wanted, then RELENG_4 is the wrong
branch, and RELENG_4_7 is probably what you want (4.7-release +
critical patches.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson