At 10:47 AM -0700 9/18/03, roger n. tospott wrote:
/usr/src/usr.sbin/lpr/common_source/lp.local.h currently has

#define DEFMX 1000

Given the size of files nowadays, shouldn't this be a
little larger?

This was recently changed to 0 in current, but not in stable. (zero meaning "no limit"). It probably makes sense to pick *some* limit instead of "infinity", but I couldn't come up with a good reason for any specific value, so we just went with zero (aka "infinity").

Also, maybe it's just me, but given this (from man printcap):

     Name       Type      Default                Description
     mx         num       1000                   maximum file size (in BUFSIZ
                                                 blocks), zero = unlimited

it's not obvious to me that "Type num" means that, if i wanted
an unlimited maximum file size, the printcap entry should be
"mx#0", rather than "mx=0".  Perhaps more expressive examples
could be helpful in /usr/src/etc/printcap.

Heh. It's obvious to people who have done a lot with printcap or termcap, but it's true that people often miss that. I thought I had added some logic to chkprintcap for that (so you'd at least see a warning message when lpd starts up). Perhaps I only did that in my own versions, and never committed it to freebsd.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]