At 04:42 PM 05/10/2003, moron wrote:

Up until quite recently the machine has had a single drive in it and been
performing flawlessly, no disk problems or anything of that nature (nothing
untoward in messages, not spontaneous reboots, etc.).  I have performed a few
CVSups and make worlds over the last month to deal with security issues and
such and about two weeks ago I added the second Seagate drive to the system.

Shortly after adding the new drive (but also around the time of a CVSup), the

Ok, it took me a while, but now I remember why this was dejavu. I saw the same thing on a similar setup. The one maxtor ata 133 was working fine. I added a slave, and all of a sudden errors on both. Not sure if its the maxtor or issue with ATA133. But I fixed the problem by forcing everything down to ATA100.

I have this run at startup time

/sbin/atacontrol mode 3 udma100 udma100

where 3 is the channel on which I have

# atacontrol info 3
Master:  ad6 <Maxtor 4G120J6/GAK819K0> ATA/ATAPI rev 6
Slave:   ad7 <Maxtor 4G120J6/GAK819K0> ATA/ATAPI rev 6

and all has been happy for months. Also, double check that the jumpers are correctly set on all your IDE devices.

---Mike