If this is covered in an FAQ I apologize, my quick check did not find it. I'm new to FreeBSD and am wondering about version numbers of programs in FreeBSD vs. the programs general version.

Take sshd for example. I started with 4.9-stable and then updated the system using cvsup in what I believe is the correct manner. After all that I am left with

sshd version OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030924

I'm confused on how to correlate this version to say ftp://ftp.ca.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/ChangeLog

If I understand the way FreeBSD releases occur then using -stable I would not expect to have the latest and greatest software, rather I have a more "stable" version. Appears that the latest and greatest portable version of OpenSSH is Release 3.7.1p2. I am trying to figure out two things:

o - what is the base version of OpenSSH that 4.9-stable started with? Logic says that is 3.5p1, but I want to make sure I'm not missing some detail.

o - What patches have been applied to the base software to integrate with FreeBSD and more specifically security related patches?

Again I apologize if these are newbie questions that are answered somewhere in an FAQ. In which case feel free to send me a URL. I picked sshd as that is one service that I will be exposing and I want to make sure that I understand all of this and am not exposing a vulnerable version.

Regards,
Chad