> From: Felipe Neuwald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:35:07 -0200
> Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hello Folks,
>
> I always have the doubt... And when the stables goes to 5.3, how I'll
> update my 4.9-STABLE servers to the 5.3-STABLE? If I download the source
> from cvs and compile it, it should work?

Probably not. You will need to read UPDATING for details of the update
from V4 to V5. It is similar to the normal update, but there are a
couple of critical additions and the EXACT sequence of the update
operations is critical.

Because of its delicacy, many suggest a clean install of V5, but I have
updated several systems successfully in both ways and, if you are
careful, updating should be fine.

N.B. Updating to current can be risky. For any release declared stable,
there will be testing to make sure that the update procedure works
correctly, but until then, it usually works and occasionally goes BOOM!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)