Marko Raiha wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 11:33:43PM -0600, secmgr wrote:

when you define the subdisk, don't use the whole drive. Leave at least
64 blocks unused.

Would you mind to tell the reason behind this rule of leaving at least 64 blocks unused?

Regards,

The reason is empirically derived. When I created a 7 disk raid 5 set using "len 0" or all the space available, the raid set would be corrupt after initializing. Every time. When I reserved back that extra space, no corruption.
(freebsd 4.10-p3) There was a thread on this a few days ago.

jim