Hi list,

I am having trouble with 5-stable on an Intel Centrino notebook. The system was installed from scratch using 5.3-release CDs and is updated every few days to the latest 5-stable. The output of uname -a is:

FreeBSD takahe.local 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #6: Fri Nov 19 00:42:30 CET 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TAKAHE i386

It's running as a desktop with xorg and KDE 3.3.1. The /usr/home partition is GBDE encrypted. Everything is working fine, but there are constant stalls. What I mean by that is that the machine will suddenly stop responding to any input. The mouse cursor will keep moving, but keyboard input will end up in a buffer somewhere and mouse clicks will get lost completely. After a second or two, everything comes back to normal. Characters typed during the stall come out of the buffer (although often in the wrong order and with some characters missing) and the system can be used again. A minute or two later, the next stall occurs. Needless to say, this is very annoying.

I know that with such a vague description, probably nobody can help me. But maybe someone has a debugging tip for me. Where should I look? How can I see what is hogging up the CPU or some other important system resource during a stall?

- Bartosz