On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 01:28:55 -0800, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 10:09:35AM +0100, Ronald Klop wrote:

Would all this work for 'make index' for the ports also? Or is this more
io bound?
I can't test this myself, because my laptop is to slow for making these
tests any fun.

Based on my tests, 'make index' is only faster with -j on smp machines (the default is -j2, which only penalizes UP by a second or two, but nearly halves the build time on an smp machine).

But -j1 saves on mem usage on UP I presume, so it makes my workstation more useable while being 2 secs.faster.
Is this set by an INDEX_JOBS make var in /etc/make.conf? Found it in /usr/ports/Makefile.

Ronald.

--
 Ronald Klop, Amsterdam, The Netherlands