Brian Szymanski wrote:

That is not completely fair for vinum....

I've been running vinum now for the better of 3-4 years, and even with a
set of very flaky seagate IDE drives I never lost a byte.
Vinum has served me well, and I trust gvinum will get there as well.
I just left my fileserver at 5.1, which I know is not an option for
everybody.

Are you using vinum Raid5 ? I'm considering rolling back to 5.1 myself if
someone attests that things "just work" there with R5, then waiting for
gvinum to mature before getting my machine back on stable.

Also, when did vinum stop working in favor of gvinum? is it with 5.3?
Could I expect 5.2.1 to work? Pardon the barrage of questions, but it
would take me hours to test each case, so if anyone knows, drop me a line.
Thanks!

[~wjw] [EMAIL PROTECTED]> uname -a
FreeBSD files.digiware.nl 5.1-RELEASE-p11 FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p11 #3: Sat Dec 20 16:16:35 CET 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/mnt2/obj/usr/src51/src/sys/GENERIC i386

[~wjw] [EMAIL PROTECTED]> vinum l
4 drives:
D vinumdrive1           State: up       /dev/ad7s1h     A: 0/58143 MB (0%)
D vinumdrive0           State: up       /dev/ad6s1h     A: 0/58143 MB (0%)
D vinumdrive3           State: up       /dev/ad5s1h     A: 0/58143 MB (0%)
D vinumdrive2           State: up       /dev/ad4s1h     A: 0/58143 MB (0%)

1 volumes:
V vinum0                State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:        170 GB

1 plexes:
P vinum0.p0          R5 State: up       Subdisks:     4 Size:        170 GB

4 subdisks:
S vinum0.p0.s0          State: up       D: vinumdrive0  Size:         56 GB
S vinum0.p0.s1          State: up       D: vinumdrive1  Size:         56 GB
S vinum0.p0.s2          State: up       D: vinumdrive2  Size:         56 GB
S vinum0.p0.s3          State: up       D: vinumdrive3  Size:         56 GB

Note that this is vinum in its most simple state:
- 4* whole disk in vinum.
- NO root or swap or other complicating issues.

This server is only doing one simple thing: NFS en SMB serving. Even SMB is still way behind on 2.2.8
And I have not tried in going to the 5.2.1 venture. I only went to 5.1 on this box, because it was the last of the mohicans in my home server park not running >= 5. So I wanted to get ride of the 4.x tree.
And as you can see I have not tinkered with this box for almost a year.

--WjW