On Dec 3, 2004, at 21:03, Adrian Wontroba wrote:

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 02:36:09PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
Should I expect a dump taken from 4.X to be restorable on 5.X though?
Yes.
Phew.

I didn't even think about the possibility of dump not being forwards compatible (8-(

Maybe a note should be added to the dump(8) man page in the 5.x and HEAD branches noting this fact? At the very least an entry in UPDATING perhaps?

It seems obvious once you think about it, but things tend to "just work" with compatibility with FreeBSD that you take it for granted. :>