Hello,
I've been following this thread w/ apprehension since I'm in the
process of putting together my first RAID server. maybe this problem
has nothing to do w/ what I have in mind but I figure I'd ask the
experts first.
I want to make a fileserver for home use, mostly as a music jukebox
and since I've had my share of failed drives already I decided I
wanted to do RAID5 and use a "real" OS. I'm already running 5.3 on my
desktop so I figured I'd use it on the server as well. I've got 4 400G
barracudas and at this point I wonder if it's best to go w/ a small hw
raid controller like the 3ware 7506-4LP or use sw raid. I don't really
care about speed (I know RAID5 is not the best for that) nor hot
swapping, my main concern is data integrity. I tried to look online
but I couldn't find anything w/ practical suggestions except for
tutorials on how to configure vinum.

thanks for any help/pointer.

g.