Thanks for the detailed instructions, both of you. I'll see that I can
collect some information next time this happens (I can't really reproduce
it, it just happens about once a week).

> What still works when the system is frozen?  Can you switch VTYs?  Do\
> ping's work (from another system)?

VTY switching works at first (even switching to and from the running
Xorg), but eventually that stops working too. Haven't tested pings, I'll
try that next time.

As for the serial console... I guess I can get that working. I wanted to
buy an USB->Serial adapter for my laptop anyway (no, it's not the laptop
that's freezing, but the desktop machine, which does have a native serial
port).

Happy Holidays!
Benjamin