Arno J. Klaassen wrote:

dunno, I'd more suspect ACPI<->APIC issues : untill now
I only had problems on nForce based systems, but today I installed a brand new VIA based A7VT mini-server and
re-voila les "XXX_DMA" errors (and accompanying severe
system slow-down).
(Disk swapped from the old PII-233 minimalist-server; worked
OK there; disabling APIC (in BOIS and/or config and/or hints)
made disappear the XXX_DMA messages (and gave me my network
connexion back ;) ) whilst ACPI still enabled).

No help here with ACPI or APIC disabled/enabled in any order.

First ata-channel works ok with 40GB & 120GB disks, but second channel with single 160GB disk has *_DMA issues. 160GB disk works ok at PIO4 mode.

Asus A7A266 motherboard with ALI chipset & Athlon 1333MHz processor.
FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE (&RELEASE)