--On onsdag, december 29, 2004 12.36.01 -0800 Brooks Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 09:30:37PM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
Has anyone managed to update a 4.10 system to 5.3 remotely, i.e. without
console access, and without spare disk partitions?

I have a bunch of 4.10 machines that are too far away for me to actually
do  the update hands on. I've tried it on a test machine, it fails half
way  through installworld, and really needs single user mode to succeed.
The  install procedure fails since it starts using the newly installed
stuff,  things like sh(1) and test(1), and they cannot find their
libc.so.5, I  guess...

One idea I have is copying / and /usr to some other place and set
ldconfig  and PATH=some/other/place and when building and installing.
Haven't tried  it yet, thought I'd hear anyone on this list has a better
suggestion?

Optimally, there would a couple of gigs on a separate spare disk
partition  so I could just install everything there and use it upon
reboot. Problem  is, there is no such space. :(

In general, my suggestion would be, don't do that. Do you really need to upgrade? Remember, 4.11 is likely to be supported for security upgrades into early 2006 so if your machines are working and you don't really need the new functionality, I'd suggest avoiding an upgrade.

Well, I need wide char support, as in iswlower and the likes. Maybe I could use some portability lib or similar...? Ideas?

BTW, do you mean that 5.3 is not stable enough, or just that it is a nuisance to upgrade? While I agree that 4.10 is very stable, a lot of things have improved with 5.x...

/Palle