At 04:39 PM 20/01/2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
Question one: how do I disable write caching on IDE drives? I know the
setting is hw.ata.wc=0, but where do I put that? In loader.conf? This is
FreeBSD 4.10, btw.

Yes, you can put it in there.

Also, has any thought been given to making the default 0, like it is for
SCSI devices? I'm honestly surprised and disappointed that the default
is speed over data integrity.

It has been discussed quite a bit before and for a number of reasons, the default on was chosen. (google if you want to see the various reasons)

Question two: is there any support for SMART in FreeBSD?

RELENG_5 with /usr/ports/sysutils/smartmontools/ works really well. But you need to move to RELENG_5.

---Mike