--On Sunday, January 23, 2005 7:22 AM -0500 Matt Herzog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm confused about how and why modules are built and (seemingly
loaded without my having specified any to load) when I have not
told my kernel conf file to build anything as a module. As a former
NetBSD user, I had expected a monolitic kernel . . .

You can still run a monolithic kernel as I do. You can also use NO_MODULES as a make option to prevent the build and installation of modules. See also MODULES_OVERRIDE is /sys/conf/NOTES.

If you never specified a module to load, then no modules should be loaded. (Ref kldstat) Maybe the default behavior has changed. I wouldn't know though since I don't use the default behavior.

There are two ways to build a kernel. There is 'make buildkernel' and there is 'config KERNEL; make depend; make' Take care which options apply to which method.

Later,
Jason C. Wells