Tony Arcieri wrote:
I originally configured a dumpdev only to discover that the size of swap must
exceed physical memory by 1MB in order for it to work, which it does not,
unfortunately.  So dumpdev won't work to collect crash data.

You might set hw.physmem to a smaller value in loader.conf to fit within the amount of swapspace which is available:

        set hw.physmem=<value>                  MAXMEM (i386 only)

                Limits the amount of physical memory space available to
                the system to <value> bytes.  <value> may have a k, M or G
                suffix to indicate kilobytes, megabytes and gigabytes
                respectively.  Note that the current i386 architecture
                limits this value to 4GB.

What I'm really in need of is some way to determine the cause of reboots,
and panic messages aren't being logged.  I've heard of patches to the
kernel which would provide ways to do this such as network console support
(my colo provider doesn't provide serial consoles).

last and dmesg don't give you anything, hmm? That's unforunate, hmm, you might try leaving an ssh session logged in doing a tail -f on /var/log/messages and see whether you can get anything from that.