José M. Fandiño wrote:
Jon Noack wrote:
>>>> Finally, I found the culprit:

CFLAGS="" \ 100% of the transmited traffic is received COPTFLAGS="" /

CFLAGS= -pipe     \  50% of the transmited traffic is received
COPTFLAGS= -pipe  /

>>> That would be exceedingly strange, because the above two options
are supposed to produce *no differences at all* with the code generation.

>>> I'd believe that -O and no -O could behave differently, although
I don't know why you'd want to compile without -O.

>> because by the time I was compiling the system I was no interested
in compiler optimizations. Now I prefer a lightly optimized
kernel than a system with 50% of packet lost in local interfaces
;-)

> -O is the default for -STABLE; anything else might very well cause
problems. In fact, check out the CFLAGS section of /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf:
> "Note that optimization settings other than -O and -O2 are not
recommended or supported for compiling the world or the kernel -
please revert any nonstandard optimization settings to "-O" before
submitting bug reports without patches to the developers."

I think this comment was referring to higher optimizations levels than -O2, anyway removing "-O" shouldn't be so harmful.

The explanation I've heard (I have no actual knowledge here, I'm just good at repeating others) is that gcc doesn't compile any ASM with -O0 (which is what you get with CFLAGS="-pipe"). This Breaks Things(tm):
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20020623214947.J84322

kern/52764 is another example:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/52764

More generically it makes sense that gcc treat code differently with -O0 than with -O. With the vast majority of users using -O and different code paths being taken with -O0, it doesn't surprise me at all that there are issues.

It should be assumed that nonstandard means exactly what it says: something other than -O (or more recently -O2). If it breaks, try -O. If it's still broken with -O, report away.

Regards,
Jon

P.S. Historically, the reason to use -O0 was for easier debugging. It appears that steps have been taken to ease debugging with -O to the point that it is no longer necessary to use -O0 (with the FreeBSD kernel and world, at least); I don't recall a FreeBSD developer ever asking someone to recompile with -O0 to help solve a problem...