On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 03:01:49PM +0000, Chris wrote:

4 - compatiblity, I remember using 5.2.1 and pretty much all software
worked well in that and then they did the bind defaulting to base and
libs version jump, why wasnt this done in 5.0 so 3rd party apps could
adjust, now we have a situation where most stuff that worked in 4.x
worked well in 5.1 and 5.2.1 but then broke in 5.3 so effectively 5.3
was liek a new major version over 5.2.1.

5.2.1 was clearly marked as a "developer preview" release and you were warned not to rely on it for production use. As a snapshot of FreeBSD-CURRENT, binary compatibility is not guaranteed and often needs to be broken in the course of development.

Kris

Just adding a note: I regularly use FreeBSD on a Toshiba notebook, and switched from 4.x to 5.x to benefit from cardbus support. Well, I started with 5.2.1 and all things did well. Since then, I'm trying to track 5-STABLE with no success. Starting with 5.3-RELEASE, the ACPI stopped to work, as well as did the rl driver. So, I switched back to 5.2.1.

[]s

Tórgan