On Mar 29, 2005, at 1:17 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have a dell pe2650 box with dual xeon 2.4G, disabled the HTT,
installed 5.3-RELEASE, enabled SMP, mysql 4.1.10a built from
the port.

I am observing similar problems with high load (not necessarily high number of connections) with 5.4-PRERELEASE from March 22 on a Tyan K8SR motherboard dual Opteron system running PostgreSQL 8.

I am not ready to rule out hardware problem, though, as I have had a fair number of ethernet port timout+reset reported by the kernel. I shall try disabling SMP to see what happens. It is times like these I wish there was an equivalent to the Dell diagnostics suite for other machines :-( If only Dell would sell Opteron!