On Mar 31, 2005, at 3:08 PM, Alan Jay wrote:

We did some tests with the latest 5.3-STABLE / 5.4-PRERELEASE and still found
the same issues when using a mySQL database heavily hit over the Ethernet
controller. Our final tests limited the memory on boot-up to 4Gb and the bug
is still there so we think it may well be some interaction with the Ethernet
controller. The motherboard we have has a BroadcomBCM5704C 10/100/1000 based
card on board.

I have seen similar with Postgres 8.0 database. Occasionally I'll see a bge0 timout + reset error logged, but many times I'll just see a "socket closed unexpectedly" type of message from postgres. So far, every 5 days or so, the machine freezes during heavy DB reporting over the net. I have a S2881 mobo, though, with 4GB.

I had another identical machine which was reporting in the BIOS that the memory size changed during normal operations, which was very scary...

Vivek Khera, Ph.D. +1-301-869-4449 x806