Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 March 2005 at 15:30:37 -0700, Scott Long wrote:

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

I've recently acquired an AMD64 box ...

What's unstable?  ... The amd64 5.4-PRERELEASE kernel just
hangs/freezes.

5.3-RELEASE has a lot of problems with >4GB due to busdma issues. Those should no longer be an issue in RELENG_5, including 5.4-PRE.

They appear to be.

I don't understand what you mean here.

I realize that this isn't enough to diagnose the problem.  The reason
for this message now is to ask:

3. Where should I look next?

You'll need to dig in and provide some more details, I guess.

Yes, my guess too.

I have an HDAMA dual Opteron system that behaves fine now with 8GB
of RAM, so your problem might lie with particular hardware and/or
drivers.

As I described, it doesn't appear to be the drivers.

I don't see how you proved or disproved this.

Scott