Joe Altman wrote:

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:23:14AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

+++

Currently, I find my P4 hanging just after discovering the parallel
port and mounting disk; in other words, just here:

ppc0: parallel port not found.
ad0: 28629MB <ST330620A> [58168/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100

but ->only<- when my Logitech USB mouse is plugged in. Now, if I
unplug it and hit reset (not Ctrl-Alt-Del; the keyboard is frozen) the
system boots, and I can obtain X w/ a functional mouse. Yesterday, of
course, prior to the USB change the system did not hang.

I saw this problem in testing ad THOUGHT I had checked in the fix..

Can you confirm that usb.c ends with:
SYSINIT(usb_cold_explore, SI_SUB_INT_CONFIG_HOOKS, SI_ORDER_FIRST,
usb_cold_explore, NULL);

Hmmm...

/usr/src/lib/libusbhid/

Nope..

/usr/sr/sys/dev/usb/usb.c

Aha...maybe this is it:

/usr/src/usr.sbin/usbd/

nope

ll /usr/src/usr.sbin/usbd/

2734320 -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel    169 Apr 25  2001 Makefile
2738254 -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel   4460 Jun 22  2003 usbd.8
2736938 -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel  30079 Nov 29  2003 usbd.c
2737339 -rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel   5046 Aug 27  2004 usbd.conf.5

Is that the one?

Here is a part of 'tail -25' on the file, showing the bottom:

/* check the event queue */
               if (handle_events && (FD_ISSET(fd, &r) || error == 0))
               {
                       if (verbose >= 2)
                               printf("%s: processing event queue
               %son %s\n",
                                       __progname,
                                      (error? "":"due to timeout "),
               USBDEV);
                       process_event_queue(fd);
               }
       }
}

So no, this file doesn't end in what you ask; I can't see anywhere
else it might live; is there some other usbd.c you need?

I noticed that some code was changed in between my discovery of the
hanging and my attempt to fix it:

Apr 27 21:15 subr_bus.c

but this change, and the subsequent world update, did not solve the
issue of the hanging mouse.

the changes that you are refering to include some to defer probing of the USB 1.1 busses untill after the USB2.0 busses have been configured.

Ah...okay; well, I was in the dark anyway, may as well whistle.

theoretically it may be that the usb code doesn't like being run at that time..
I'll try duplicate your setup more closely.

is it a uhci or ohci controller?

I just realised I did most of my testing with ohci..
will hunt down a uhci machine to test with.

I'll see if I can duplicate yuor problem.. I tested with several USB 1.1
devices but a mounse was not amongst them.

Okay; it may be a one off, relative to me only, as I've seen no other indications of issues. I am behind on my list reading, though.

I assume it works right if you remove the mouse before booting and reinsert it after the kernel has booted?

Yes; once I have a console, the mouse is detected:

ums0: Logitech USB Receiver, rev 1.10/23.02, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 7 buttons and Z dir.

Then, it works in X just fine; I forgot to test it on the console.

shouldn't matter..