Marco Stroosnijder wrote:

Carl,

Just a hunch... asymetric I/O in your pccard slot?
Try geting and puting files via ftp between the two hosts.
There is a big differance between getting and putting files!!
(number of reads and writes from "pccard slot")
I had problems with normal ethernet 100 Mbit pccards 750 KB max "write".

My wireless network consists of a server with a PCI wifi card (Netgear MA311) which acts as a accesspoint and a laptop (Dell Lattitude D600) with a Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG mini-PCI card. The problem is with the MA311-card.

Wireless links have 2-10 % package loss by default.
To check for package loss or for a general bad link, I just use ping
-a/-A to hear if packets are lost. Ping will be auditable on i.e. in
case of failure, this beats the crap out of watching those sequence
numbers. This may also show succes and failure in bursts.

Maybe you should (if possible) adjust the rate to 11Mbps or (try to)
"enforce" it from the "other side". Most likely using ifconfig +mediaopt

wi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps

According to the ifconfig output the wi0 interface is 2Mbps (DS/2Mbps <hostap>)

Further down your output you find this:

TX rate (selection): [ 11 ]
TX rate (actual speed): [ 2 ]

2Mbit = (theo. aprox.) 256 KBytes - minus package loss and other factors = 220 KBytes MAX (?)...
Maybe 180 KBytes is not so bad?

My 2 cents,
Marco Stroosnijder

The problem is that it won't set to 11Mbps. It's a bug.
There is a hack to lock the rate at 11Mbps but when you got bad signal it don't go down as it should and you get high packet loss.
See: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2005-February/010102.html

- Carl