Jon Dama wrote:

Yes, but surely you weren't bridging gigabit and 100Mbit before?
Did you try my suggestion about binding the IP address of the NFS server
to the 100Mbit side?

Yeah. Unfortunately networking on the server fell apart when I did that. Traffic was still passed and I could get through to the server on the 100Mb/s side, but not on the 1000Mb/s. It looked like the arp tables weren't being forwarded properly, but I couldn't convince FreeBSD to do proxy arp.

After doing some more poking around, it actually looks like it might be a misfeature in the Linux 2.4 kernel wrt ipfilter (which is running on the bridge). Apparently 2.4 fragments UDP packets in the reverse order that every other UNIX-like operating system does, which throws off ipfilter's state tables. I'm going to do some testing to see if the difference between UDP and TCP NFS is negligible enough for us to disregard.

Thanks for the suggestions!

--
-- Skylar Thompson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/