On Jun 4, 2005, at 5:11 PM, Remo Lacho wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance, but why would you use USB or Firewire drives on a
production server?

Firewire makes a really nice hot-pluggable I/O bus which works nicely with external devices. Your typical external Firewire drive is generally a medium-decent IDE drive (ie, one with a 3-year warranty and more cache than the typical drive sold today) using an IDE->FW converter.

Firewire is especially well suited to things like movie editting and other A/V work, and I'd rather use it than IDE for those kind of tasks. It's not clear that even Ultra320 SCSI is a better choice as an interface, although the highest-end SCSI drives are probably more reliable. You'd have to switch up to a fibre-channel SAN to get a system which is significantly faster or more fault-tolerant.

[ I don't think so highly of USB2. ]

--
-Chuck