On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:

Hello!

The subject says it all ... I'm looking a new server, and right now have
built it around the SRCZCRX PCI-X 128MB, since I've had good luck with the
Intel RAID controllers with 4.x, and I *really* like the storcon CLI
utility ... but, with the move to 5.x, I'm wondering if there is something
else I should be looking at, or is this still a good card to go with?

IMHO it's the entire product line of ICP Vortex, now owned
by Adaptec. These cards really rock. Battery backed up cache,
RAID 1+0, driver maintained my company's engineers, yet in
the stock FreeBSD kernel, curses based management utility
to repair arrays without reboot, unattended rebuild if
you exchange a broken disk with a brand new one, same
interface to the host for _all_ products including SATA, ...

'k, its the above that I've grown to love with the Intel cards ... do you have a URL for these? Checking Adaptec's site, they don't seem to explicitly list the ICP Vortex stuff ...

Also, is there a particular card that I should avoid, in their line up, or are they all good?

I'm looking to put this into an Intel SR1400 Server Platform ... the motherboard has onboard U320 SCSI, so I was figuring to go the 0 Channel route ... and the SR1400 is 3x drive bays, so would be going RAID5 for this ...

thanks ...

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664