Some people suggested so - pf is supposed to be faster then IPFILTER.
However if you are experiencing machine freezing like I did on 5.4-STABLE
I'm not sure this will help - if nothing else helps try 6.0-CURRENT. I've also noticed that it is running much faster with all debuging enabled then regular 5.4-STABLE on same hardware...

I dont think its a good idea to run 6.0-CURRENT production.

I'm moving the main mail server to PF, keeping SMP on. Its also running 5.4-STABLE as of today. We'll see if any of this fixes anything.

Regards,

Matt