Jon Simola wrote:
On 7/19/05, Tony Byrne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm totally confused. I don't know enough about SMART to know whether
I'm looking at real failing drives or some bug exposed by the
interaction between drive firmware, hd controller and FreeBSD.

What I've recently learned the hard way is that desktop drives have no
place in a server. I've now failed 4 of 10 SATA drives (Maxtor and WD)
in 1U rackmounts, and am moving on to trying the WD Raptor SATA drives
(which claim to be low-end server).

I have to agree with this opinion,

I recently had a WD1600JD SATA fail within a couple months of
installation, and the warranty replacement failed within a week.
First drive failed autodetection and made servo
ticking noises.  Second drive had many bad sectors.

Add this to the pile of dead 3yr-old 40GB WD drives from
all the workstations around here.

I install SATA drives in duplicate and triplicate for this
reason. Preferably in removable bays with a fan.

I assume they're bad out of the box... I write them full of
zeros with DD, then read it all back, then do it again. If
I don't get read errors then I install them.

Joe Koberg
joe at osoft dot us