On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Eirik Øverby wrote:

I've only seen the issue when logging out of a serial console session, and had previously hypothesized that it had to do with the simultaneous timing of a console message from syslog and the opening/closing of the console's tty due to logging out and getty restarting, resulting in a reference count improperly hitting zero.

I did indeed make some changes to my syslog configuration after getting the serials online. Your theory might not be entirely off. Let me know if I should post my syslog.conf file or anything else here or elsewhere...

Since you appear to be able to reliably reproduce the problem (whereas I was able to reproduce it only after several hours of quite active serial console work), it would be quite interesting to answer the following question:

  If you cause syslogd not to send any output to /dev/console, does the
  problem go away?

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson