>The VIA SATA onboard controller on my server works (and has worked)
>flawlessly.  I have two identical 80G Maxtor SATA drives connected to it
>and have had absolutely no problems and excellent performance.  Even my
>Dell Inspirion 5100--with a few hiccups--has made great progress and is
>mostly functional.

The ATA (definitely not SATA) controller on my Dell Latitude
C840 laptop has READ_DMA, WRITE_DMA problems, maybe 2-3 times
a day unless I turn off DMA.  It hangs for 3-4 seconds, logs
errors, then proceeds.  It isn't heavily loaded.  I tried using
Soren's ATA mkIII patches, and now it likes to panic about that
same frequency instead of hanging, so I'm going back to the
stock RELENG_5 config next chance I get.

It's one of these:

  atapci0: <Intel ICH3 UDMA100 controller> port
0xbfa0-0xbfaf,0x376,0x170-0x177,0x 3f6,0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 31.1 on pci0

--
J. Porter Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>