Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Hi,
> I am updating an old 4.x system to 5.4 here and it has a Promise FT100TX2
> RAID
> controller (in mirror).
>
> The problem is that when I boot the CD the loader crashes (does a reg dump)
> but only if the card is present and an array is defined. I can't record what
> the dump is because it continually sprays the dump down the screen which
> makes it unreadable :(
>
> I have seen this on an AMD64 system (I used the same RAID card in it) and got
> the same problem. To work around it on that system I installed via the
> motherboard IDE controller and then moved the disk over to the RAID
> controller.
>
> It only seems to affect booting the installer - once the system is installed
> it boots from the RAID card just fine (!)
>
> I just tried booting from floppy and that works (?!) although that method
> doesn't probe my PS/2 keyboard for some reason :-/
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing the RAID + CD boot problem?
>
> Thanks.

I've exactly the same issue: on a PIII866, only one IDE CD, Floppy and a
RAID1 array on the FT100TX2, no way to boot on the CD...

It works with there are no array on the card.
(No array defined, Ctrl-F for bios or <I dont remember, ESC ?> to continue).
-> I just installed on 'ad4'(prim. master from raid card) disk, edited
fstab to mount ar0 instead of ad4, then build (on the card's bios) a
raid1 with ad6(long time copying...), then it boots from the raid. Still
not from a FreeBSD5.4 RELEASE CD, nor a FreeSBIE 1.1 (based on 5.3).

I can do some tests if needed, even if I'm don't really understand more
than 'hello world', I know how to apply patches ;)

        /     Geoffroy DESVERNAY        |                           \
       /        `Service info`          | Tel: (+33|0)4 91 05 45 24  \
       \  Ecole Généraliste d'Ingénieurs| Fax: (+33|0)4 91 05 45 98  /
        \         ...de MARSEILLE       |  dgeo _AT_ egim-mrs.fr    /