     To:= freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
     From: Brian Candler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]&= gt;
     Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Date: 09/24/2005 09:21A= M
     Subject: geom_mirror and ggatec/d safe for filesystem
     replication?
     Consider the following scenario:
     - Machine 1 has a UFS filesy= stem on a block device.
     - It is mirrored to a block device on machine 2,= using
     geom_mirror
      and ggatec/ggated
     - Machine 2 mounts this = filesystem read only.
     My question is: is this last step safe?
     When an update occurs on machine 1, certain disk blocks will change
     "under     the nose" of machine 2's mounts. Will all necessary caches be
     invalidat= ed?
     (e.g. block caches, inode caches) Or could this result in nasty
     beha= viour,
     up to and including panics?
     If so, is there a safer or bet= ter way of performing real-time
     filesystem
     replication?
     Thanks,
     Brian Candler.
     [1]ht= tp://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
     To unsubscrib= e, send any mail to
     "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"