Malcolm Kay wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:06 am, Jeremy Bogan wrote:
You could try running a caching DNS server locally, DjbDNS is
simple to setup and get going.

Yes, I have thought that maybe a local simple caching dns server would help; and if I can't otherwise fix the problem I'll give it a go. And I appreciate your suggestion of DjbDNS.

It does seem however that this should not be necessary.

It is necessary when you have multiple machines and you take away
the connection to their DNS.

So, you have a couple of choices.  the first is to setup each machine
such that it refers to it's local files first, then looks for the remote DNS
or you setup a local caching server.  Personally, I would go for the
second choice. A local server can be responsible for DNS for all
local machines (including itself) as well as referring & caching external
lookups.  this makes life a lot simpler for configuring the other
computers.

John