On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:57:52 +0200, dick hoogendijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:03:53 -0400
"Joshua Coombs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

For what it's worth, on UP, my 386 (stop laughing) is showing twice
the inbound and outbound tcp throughput across multiple apps compared
to 4.11.  Disk throughput is slightly higher, but nothing super
impressive.  If 6.0 can show gains on a 386, that tells me there is
some actual merit to the changes.

The news I read about fFreeBSD-6.0 is quit good lately. I might even
upgrade my 5.4 box. I'm told it will be a rather smooth proces.

The *ONLY* question is: will I need to *recompile* all installed ports
if I go from 5.4 to 6.0 release?

There are a couple of options:
1. Do not remove old (5.4) libraries. All 5.4 libs wil still be found.
2. Remove old libraries and install ports/misc/compat5x. All 5.4 lib wil still be found. 3. Remove old libraries and use /etc/libmap.conf to map the old libs on the new ones.
4. Recompile every port, so all dependencies are the 6.0 libs.

Ronald.

--
 Ronald Klop
 Amsterdam, The Netherlands