On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:49:18 +0100, Alistair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello, All

I am a user of Linux for many years (and an aged BSD sysadmin from 1985-1989), but laterly mainly use Gentoo. FreeBSD seemed to be a good alternative, so I get the 6.0 release a few days after it was released.

Being a Gentoo person, I like the ports system, but with limited time on my hands, I also like the compiled packages. I can get a working system from packages then compile my own ports as need or want be. Or so I thought.

I installed from two CDs, and got a working KDE system. Now, I want to do Firefox from ports with my own make.conf for P4 optimisation. Good! So, I sync with the sources using cvsup (just like emerge --sync) change to the Firefox ports directory, type "make" and enter dependency hell like has never been known before. Everything that depends upon GTK2 must be updated before Firefox can be compiled!

I thought that FreeBSD would be more stable than Gentoo and Linux distros in general. I now find that there is the most major release step (5.4 to 6.0) and within a matter of a few days later, both Gnome and KDE are subject to huge updates that require many hours (or maybe days - it's not done yet) of CPU time.

Maybe I am missing something. However, I just cannot see why this is right. What I thought that FreeBSD would give me that Gentoo did not is a coherent system within which deveopment was co-ordinated. Instead, I seem to find the opposite. The core group can offer a major release of the OS, while missing the fact that two hugely important development groups are just days off their own major releases.

The portstree is tagged for a release, so if you cvsup to the tag for the release, you get the 'supported' ports. If you cvsup to the most recent portstree there is always a change for a big update.

The idea behind the KDE/GNOME update is to commit the stuff after the 6.0-RELEASE in stead of before too have stable KDE/GNOME packages in the release.

BTW: use the port sysutils/portupgrade. This fixes a lot of dependency troubles. BTW2: if you cvsup to the latest portstree, you can't expect everything to be available in packages. In FreeBSD ports are the focus, packages come next (currently).
BTW3: http://www.freshports.org/

Ronald.

--
 Ronald Klop